Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway will connect Bhavnagar to Ahmedabad. The Government of India will built this Expressway under the Bharatmala Project. This four-lane wide Expressway will pass through the Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR) through the Dholera International Airport at Navagam. Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway will also be connected to the Delhi Mumbai Expressway. This will reduce travel time between cities.
Read more for the Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway route map, cost, Progress, and more.
Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway Quick Facts
- Length: 109 km
- No. of Lanes: 4 (Expandable to 8 Lanes)
- Cost: Rs. 3500 Crore
- Starting Point: Sarkhej, Ahmedabad
- Ending Point: Adhelai, Bhavnagar
- Deadline: 2024
Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway is 109 km long in the state of Gujarat. It is an Expressway with four lanes that can be expanded to eight if required. The project was first announced by the State Roads and Buildings Department in March 2010. But somehow the tender could not be done. In 2019, the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) issued final tenders, valuing the project at Rs 3,300 crore.
It will boost the economy of the project area by being connected to the Dholera Special Investment Region (SIR). The road is expected to be completed by 2024.
Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway Progress
Package 1 is almost completely ready. The earthwork is complete, the roads are ready, and now it is the turn of tree planting and lane marking. A canal passes through this section of the expressway, which includes erected pillars and flooring work underway on the overpass.
The 22.5 km long Package 3 Expressway will connect to Dholera Airport. The package includes a raised walkway being built, with pillars already built and some attached. A vehicle underpass structure is also ready to connect the existing airport road to the expressway, which will form the road towards Ahmedabad. At present, work is underway to build a ramp near the underpass structure. While earthwork is ongoing on this package, the underpass and interchange structures are ready.
Package 4 covers an area of 38 km on the brownfield alignment. Work is currently underway to meet the requirements of a 12-lane, but currently, the road will be 8 lanes. Earthwork is underway and the two-lane road has already started.
Overall, the work is progressing rapidly. The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) plans to open parts of the expressway by April 2024, with the target of full operation by December next year.
Benefits of Expressway
This expressway will attract more investment opportunities for many people, hence it is considered as the backbone of the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway. In addition, this project will provide several additional benefits:
- The expressway will provide better, easier, safer, and faster connectivity to the people.
- Smooth and fast-moving traffic reduces pollution.
- Fixing the speed limit by NHAI will reduce the number of accidents; If a vehicle goes beyond this, the owner will have to pay a fine.
- By improving local agriculture, farmers will get better prices.
- This will attract more investment and boost the economy of the state.
- Proper alignment of roads will reduce the operation and maintenance costs of vehicles. Various facilities will be included, such as bus bays, truck lay bays, rest areas, service roads at built-up places, pedestrian and cattle underpasses, landscaping and plantations, traffic aid posts, emergency telecommunication systems, emergency medical aid posts, street lights are being built.
- Better social and health facilities will improve the quality of life of the people living in these areas.
- By connecting the corridor with the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway, people will be able to easily go from Delhi to Gujarat, which will increase local tourism.
Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway Route Map
Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway starts from Sardar Patel Ring Road near Sarkhej to Dholera in the south-west of Ahmedabad between NH-8A (west) and SH4, Sabarmati River, SH6, Gulf of Khambhat (east). After this, there are Sarkhej, Sindhrej, Vejalaka, Dholera SIR, and Adhelai.
The expressway is conceived as the backbone of Dholera SIR. Furthermore, it is connected to an under-construction project called the Delhi-Mumbai Expressway.
Ahmedabad Dholera Expressway Cost
The total cost of the project is Rs 3500 crore, which is divided among four different contractors. Sadbhav Engineering’s package one is valued at Rs 690.30 crore, while package two is valued at Rs 882 crore. To GHWI India Rs 992 crore for Package 3, to MKC Infrastructural Rs 932.22 crore for Package 4.
Ahmedabad Dholra Expressway is being built under the Bharatmala Project. This 109 km long highway has four lanes and can be expanded to eight lanes as per requirement. The expressway starts from Sarkhej and ends at Adhelai village in Bhavnagar. This will include Adhelai, Sarkhej, Sindhrej, Vejalaka, and Dholera SIRs. Also, the Expressway will strike the Dholera Special Investment Region (DSIR), attract more investments, strengthen the state’s economy, and reduce travel time between cities.